Thursday, May 25, 2017

Candice Wiggins: Straight Pride


Back in February, retired WNBA star Candice Wiggins made national headlines, making some controversial statements, which is putting it mildly. She described her experience in the league as an environment that was "very, very harmful." She went on to say that she was bullied for being straight, and that 98% of the league is dyking. (Blogger's Note: "Dyking" isn't the word she literally used, but she did say this in her own words).

This subject came to mind this morning, and it sparked me to write this blog. Now, there's a part of me that wants to say that she exaggerated a tad with her estimate. I mean, come on, not 45-50 percent, or even 75 percent, but 98 percent? That's a huge number! But, there's two things I recognize here: 1.) She actually played in the league, I didn't. Of course, I'm a male, so I wouldn't want to play in that league. 2.) With this gay epidemic going on nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me. It would be very disappointing, but not surprising.


Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes came out years ago, there's Angel McCoughtry, Chamique Holdsclaw tried to kill the woman she was with, and Diana Taurasi recently married her former teammate, so Candice's statements aren't far-fetched. I say all of that to say there's all this talk about homosexuals "being bullied," by those who don't have the same sexual orientation, however, those of us who are straight are bullied with this nasty a** sh*t they're doing, trying to force us to accept their lifestyle, and you face being reprimanded if you condemn it.

People are quick to utter: "This is a free country." Well, that expression works in more than one capacity. Just like they (apparently) have the right to participate in it and/or support it, I have a right to speak against it, so they're really on a slippery slope with that logic. What really infuriates me is when they try to compare the situation of gays to the plight of blacks, some even try justifying their behavior with the Good Book.


Not only is that bullsh*t, that's elephant sh*t! There are written accounts in the Book that speaks against homosexuality, nowhere in there will you find "For Whites Only," or "No Coloreds." Not to mention, when have you ever heard of gays being lynched, water-hosed, bitten by dogs, having their property burned or blown up while they're in it?

The issue I have with  a lot of people who say they are straight is that we don't stand our ground. We want to play nice, be passive, and let these people just have their way. When someone does speak up, we don't go to bat for them. We cower in the corner somewhere, or play both ends against the middle. Some who claim to be heterosexual will even defend it, which makes me question them. No, I'm not saying or advocating killing gays, but don't try to force that bullsh*t on me. I definitely don't and won't accept it. As a happily straight man, I have my rights too.


No comments:

Post a Comment