Sunday, June 13, 2021

Be Your Own Hero/Savior

Green Lantern (John Stewart). DC Comics.

Although this is a post I drafted last year, a blog I posted on Medium inspired me to finish this one. I view this as more of a strong, insightful recap/commentary. For those are in the religious community, this won't be what you're used to, but open your mind and hear me out. Also, I realize people are entitled to believe what they want, this is my take on things.

All of our lives we have been taught and programmed to look to other people--specifically people in authority--or "higher powers" to lead and guide us to better, more abundant lives. This is particularly for people in my ethnicity. For a long time, I've been saying we have this "everyone is searching for a hero" mentality.

All it takes is for this individual to have "swag," and some strong, smooth speech, especially if he or she's speaking on the social ills we deal with in society, and we fall asleep. A lot of these Pro-Blacks, Black Conscious folks and definitely these preachers-- don't get me started with them-- are hip to this, and they use it to their advantage.

Most of them don't care about you. They're all about money at the end of the day. Being a content creator (writer) myself, I realize that it takes money to make a lot of things happen, nor should everything be for free, however, what does buying a DVD talking about history or ancient Egypt or a five-part teaching series on how to please "God" have to do with your current situation?

Really sit down and think about it: all of your service, praising and worship, what has all of that gotten you? I can't tell anyone what to do, who to follow or listen to, so this is a suggestion for others, but it's a new path and daily aspiration for me: instead of looking up or to others, try looking in the mirror and within. What you're seeking from outside sources is already within you.

No comments:

Post a Comment