Tuesday, February 12, 2019

J-Mo: A Night at the Grammys

Jennifer Lopez, February 2019 (Kevin Winter/Getty Images for The Recording Academy) 

I didn't watch the Grammys on Sunday night; I haven't watched an award show in years. I did see some headlines for it on my news feed. The first one that stuck out was this pussy power/feminist theme society is incessantly promoting. Now, I'm all for women getting opportunities and everything, but they're shoving this down our throats, and it's nauseating.

Now, for the main event. The second headline I kept seeing, and it's a hot topic in the "black" sector of YouTube, Jennifer Lopez (AKA J-Lo) performing songs of Motown legends. This a "duh" moment, but I'm going to break it down, anyway. You see, Lopez is a Hispanic woman, and Motown is known for their black musical legends such as Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, the Jackson Five and many others. So, from where most blacks sit, having her perform some of their songs, during Black History Month on top of that, was insulting.

This apparently has the "black" sector of social media in an outrage; some calling the notion a racist fraud, some blaming black people for allowing this to happen. For some reason, I don't know why, but this the whole thing tickles me.

There's a part of me that understands why they would consider this a slap to the face.What gets me is, when I looked read the article and saw the screenshots of tweets of detractors, I'm paraphrasing, but I saw things such as: "They couldn't get Gladys Knight, Jennifer Hudson, Ashanti, etc.?" Well, I don't know about the others, but I'm sure Gladys was recovering from singing the white folks' flag song the week before. So hey, why not J-Lo? Maybe she was the only one willing to do it.

After all, most of you like to take people from other nations and crown them "black" (e.g. Bill Clinton). I mean, I've heard some people say that she has a black woman's ass, so I guess they (the producers) figured you all wouldn't mind. Trust me, I'm not defending J-Lo. I'm looking at this from an objective-- and sarcastic, I'll admit-- view.

Speaking of which, another thing that to mind is, since black folks love Eminem so much, would they have had a problem if the Grammys honored Big Daddy Kane or Rakim, and they brought him in to rap some of their songs? Personally, I wouldn't want to see or hear that, I think that would be disgusting, Black History Month or not, but I'm pointing out the flip-flop here.

I say if the person have the vocal gifts, do your thing. I like Whitney's version of I Will Always Love You much better than Dolly's. This is where I would've been offended more than anything had I watched. I was never a fan of J-Lo's singing; honestly, I can't think of too many Hispanic women whose singing voice I enjoy. It's ironic because I love to hear them speak, but I can't stand to hear a lot of them sing. If they were going to get someone Hispanic, they could've asked Christina Aguilera, who's half-Ecuadorian. She's one of the few, in my opinion, who has vocal talent.

With all of that being said, while I don't have a problem with nations working with and learning from other nations, I also don't think it's wise to show and tell everybody everything-- that was one of the things that led to the downfall of the "Aztecs"-- which "blacks" have a bad habit of doing. That, and being intoxicated with wanting to be lovey dovey and bond with people-- like ol' Gladys, I read her response to her critics for her singing white folks' flag song-- whom the majority couldn't give two f*cks about them. That's a subject for another blog.

This is my take of the whole situation. I don't know, maybe someone could offer a perspective I'm not considering that night even move me to take this post down-- the latter being highly doubtful. If you feel a certain way about other nations invading your culture among other things, do a better job of protecting and honoring what yours.



























No comments:

Post a Comment